What is gardening?
Gardening is one activity which can be cultivated as a hobby for a good pastime, and also it can be a very good source of income if we wish to, by selling saplings, seeds etc. What is the meaning of gardening? It is a process wherein the plants are cultivated and grown but in a certain predefined space, which differentiates it from forest and also from farms. Gardening helps to create a healthier environment, with a greenery around and always giving you a fresh oxygen.
Gardening ranges from flower gardening, vegetable gardening to fruit gardening and also involves shrubs, trees, decorative plants etc. gardening can be done for an individual at an apartments, houses, and also for a social use like parks for walking, jogging, exercising and also for kids to play.
But the fact is that gardening is not as easy as it seems to be. It always involves a person with a good understanding of plants nature and techniques to grow it at its best. Every type of gardening is associated with a particular types of plants we want to grow and naturally every plant has its own nature of growth. Some plants require a regular care and some grow by themselves without much attention.
What are the types of gardening?
If you are a beginner in gardening, it would be a good idea to learn different types of gardening which you might love to adopt in your space. I am trying to list out some here.
- Butterfly gardening: Are you a fan of butterflies? Do you love to see colourful butterflies always flying around you? Then you are at the right choice. Yes, butterfly gardening is one where in you are planting certain plants which attracts bees and butterflies more and more. Butterflies are always attracted to strong scents of flower and its bright colours. Try to plant the plants which has a sweet and an energy rich nectar. Some of the common plants used for butterfly gardening are marigold, hibiscus, sunflower, etc. vegetable/ fruit gardening can be done along with butterfly gardening as butterflies helps in pollination and your vegetables and fruits are grown easily. The best season to start butterfly gardening is spring season.
- Fruits / vegetables / herbs gardening: Many vegetables, fruits and herbs can be grown by ourselves even in a limited area available with us. Also to grow many veggies and fruits you need not to buy seeds from outside. Just select and cut the matured veggie or fruit you have, remove the seeds and plant it in a soil and wait for some days. You will love to see the seed is germinated and plants start growing. It will be a great pleasure to eat the veggies and fruits grown by yourselves.
- Container gardening: When you have little space and still want to build a garden in your space, then it’s a good choice to go for container gardening. Container gardening gives amazing look to your garden especially if you are decorating your containers with beautiful colours and creativity. You have many sizes of containers to choose from, when you are doing container gardening based on w type of plant you are growing. Also for decorative purpose you can have colourful hanging pots utilizing the available space efficiently.
- Organic gardening: Organic gardening one of the most popular gardening everyone doing now-a-days. For every plant to grow properly needs a good fertilizers. And organic gardening uses the fertilizers prepared by composting a kitchen wastes, backyard wastes, and using natural pesticides.
What are the best gardening tools?
Achieving the success in gardening gives you immense pleasure and to achieve good results, gardening requires particular tools for particular work. Gardening includes many works such as planting, potting, transplanting, cutting out dead growth, trimming, shaping etc. for every work to be accomplished appropriately, requires special tools. Some of the regular tools used can be listed below.
- Hand trowel – It is a small tool used to move vicious material, digging and smoothing the soil.
- Pruners – pruners are the scissors usually very strong to prune thick branches.
- Hoe – It’s a hand tool used to remove weeds and also to cultivate soil. Its handle is long and blade is short.
- Hand gloves – It’s always good to use garden gloves to avoid infections, cuts and scrapes.
- Garden scissors – use sharp scissors to remove dead leaves, flowers and limbs.
- Spade – spade is primarily used for digging and it almost looks like a shovel but less curved and stunted.
- Garden fork – garden fork is basically used for loosening, lifting and turning over the soil.
- Shovel – it is very much similar to spade but the blades are more angled than a spade which makes it easier and efficient for digging the soil. It can also be used to move loose granular material from one place to another.
- Wheelbarrow – it’s like a trolley used for moving rock, soil, compost, trees and shrubs from one place to another.
What are gardening tips and tricks to follow?
Some useful tips and trick can help us grow our garden perfectly. Follow below tips to get successful garden.
- Select the perfect location to start your garden where the plant should receive sufficient sun light which helps in perfect photosynthesis. Edible plants, vegetables, fruits and herbs require at least 6 hours sunlight.
- Give a proper amount of water to your garden. Over watering decays the plants and less watering slows the growth process. If you are using containers, then make sure to make a drain hole.
- Select the good soil which can drain the water without holding more than necessary. Also preparing potting mixture is very important. Make potting mixture with three parts, one part with compost, one with garden top soil, and one part with sand or perlite. You can also use coco-peat which helps in aeration and improves retention of water in soil.
- If you are a container gardener, then choose correct size of containers. Usually for big plants select more than 16 inch size containers and for smaller one you can choose from 14 inch pots.
- Feed your plants regularly.